So here is the pinspiration if you want to know what I started with.
I made some modifications to the original pattern. Thusly, I am renaming them from “Grandma’s knitted slippers” to “Hootie booties”! The size medium would have been large enough to fit my hubby’s size 11.5 feet and they were too bunchy at the toe. That’s with having the right gauge (I actually measured this time).
I had visions of
padding sashaying around the house in these while performing modern and worldly acts. They belonged to me for all of 2 hours. My youngest begat was upset with me because I attempted to dislodge a loose tooth from his mouth. As payment for my miserable failure, he purloined them from me. He put on two pairs of socks, slipped them on and proclaimed them his. Boo.
Let’s make these booties!
– 2 skeins of worsted weight yarn (the original pattern doesn’t specify)
– size 10 long circular knitting needles as this project will use the magic loop method of knitting.
– Yarn needle
-4 buttons for the owl eyes
Gauge: 4 sts = 1 inch and 6 rows (3 garter stitch ridges) = 1 inch
Steps 1-4 is knitted flat. Steps 5 through 12 is knitted in the round and shapes the toe.
- Cast on 28. I have a size 8 foot and I like my booties snug. Cast on 6 less or 6 more if you want a small or large bootie respectively.
- Row 1 – K across
- Row 2 – K9, P1, K8 ,P1 ,K9. (Right side)
- Repeat rows 1 and 2 until you have 15 garter stitch ridges on the right side ending with row .
- Shape toe – Round 1 – K1, P1 until the end of the row and then join in the round.
- 6.Decrease ribbing in the round – Round 2 – K1, P1 ribbing until stitch 14, K2tog, P2tog, K1, P1 ribbing until the end of round. 26 stitches
- Rounds 3- 7 -Continue K1 P1 ribbing
- Decrease ribbing in the round – Round 8 – K1, P1 to stitch 10, K2tog, P2tog, K1, P1 ribbing to end of round. 24 stitches
- Round 9 – K1, P1 ribbing to end of round
- Decrease round – Round 10 – K1,P1 to stitch 8, K1, P2tog, K2tog, P1. K1, P1 to end of round. 22 stitches
- Decrease round – Round 11 – K1, P1 to stitch 8, K2tog, P2tog, K1, P1 to end of round. 20 stitches
- Round 12 – K1, P1 ribbing to the end of round. Leaving a long tail (at least 8 inches) cut off.
- Using the yarn needle draw tail through all loops, cinch tightly, tie in a knot and weave in ends.
- Using the long tail from cast on, sew wrong sides together until you reach the last third of the bootie. Gather these remaining stitches into a running stitch and cinch tightly. This will form the heel. Tie a knot and weave in ends.
They should look something like this:
I wish I could say that I came up with this clever and cute owl, however, that is not the case. Using two strands of the same yarn and the same size 10 needles, I used this pattern. Sew the buttons on for eyes and sew on to your booties.